Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A worthy quote

Since I'm busy with life:

Once you look closely, you come to understand that with all the bells and whistles intact, AD&D1e is a game of remarkable cohesion and subtlety. You can encounter some crazy things, but encounter reactions determine whether you’ll step right in to a fight. Charisma is an extraordinarily powerful ability score because it influences henchman and hireling numbers and loyalty. Weapon vs. AC adjustments justify the large weapon table. So do the special abilities of certain weapons. It’s not a perfect game, but it’s not just a bunch of crazy shit hacked together in the way even supporters claim. It sure seemed that way to me when I was a teenager, but I played it in an impatient, edited form. It looks to me that this half-game is the AD&D OSRIC emulates.
Source.

3 comments:

  1. Great quote. So much stuff that was ignored when I first played - now i see was good.

    Still plenty of odd corners - but not as many as i originally thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anarchist,

    I'd love to. My time for reading is pretty limited (as evidenced by my lack of recent blog posts), but I'll give it a shot. PDF is probably the best format. You can reach me at widderslainte@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete